Friday, July 22, 2011

A Little Taste of "My" Home in Maui (Feb 2011)

The road I drove to high school every day
The back porch where I learned how to play ukulele
They say that home is where the heart is.  Well I noticed this trip that home is made of all the little things that you don't see, smell or taste anywhere else.  Things like the same road you drove to school every day.  The view out your back porch.  That same gas station where you've been filling up for decades.  The snacks you can only get at home and the flowers have always grown in your yard.  I thought I would include some of my home pic's.  I shot these on a normal day going here and there on my island, Maui. 




Sometimes we don't realize how many of the little things in life, that we might even despise, are what make us unique.  I can't tell you how much I walked this little cul-de-sac.  Our property is shared by my immediate family, my two uncles and my aunty and their families.  I grew up with my extended family all around.  I remember the boring summers when I was 13 and 14 years old.  There was only so much TV a kid could watch.  So I would walk around and look for an aunty to "talk story" with or a cousin to play basketball with.  If no one was around, I would sit at the piano in our living room and plunk around. For my sweet 16th birthday, my aunty gave me a kamaka ukulele.  I played that thing for two years straight!  I still own it :o)
Over the top of our property, this is one half of the rainbow...
...this is the other half of the rainbow!

No comments:

Post a Comment